Music: In This, I Believe

Reginald - Colorado Springs, Colorado
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Music: In This, I Believe

Freddie Mercury singing, “I was just a skinny lad, never knew no good from bad” drowned out the sound of cars whizzing by as I walked home. As always, listening to music sparked my pondering. In this particular occasion, the topic was, “how the heck did I get here?” Don’t ask me how that was relevant to Queen’s “Fat Bottomed Girls” (because I had no idea myself), but one thing I do know: music definitely has a strong affect on me.

It seemed to all start around the conclusion of my middle school career, when I received my first taste of what I now consider “real music” in Led Zeppelin. I was in awe the first time I heard “Stairway to Heaven.” At that moment, I realized music was more than just sound. After months of appreciating their genius in other songs as well, such as “Immigrant Song” and “The Ocean,” I decided to join in on all the fun.

I started playing the drums July 10, 2005, and it was the best day of my life thus far. Granted I sucked, horribly, but I enjoyed it. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and months to years before I got significantly better and started playing for my church’s choir. Playing has become a great part of me, whether I’m mad and need something to hit or I’m happy and want to express it in some way. It’s a great outlet and I love it.

It is safe to say that everyone listens to music. It could be Duke Ellington or Miley Cyrus that gets one going, but when all the differences are scraped away, it’s all still music. Music, as a whole, has an inexplicable influence on us. Why else would people dance? It’s what we turn to when we have a bad day and no shoulder to lean on. It’s what we listen to when we’re excited for the weekend to come. Like in Led Zeppelin’s “Good Times, Bad Times,” “Good times, bad times; you know I’ve had my share. But when my woman left home for a brown-eyed man I still don’t seem to care.” There’s a song for every emotion and that’s helpful. Music is inspiring and uplifting; this I believe.