My Angel

Vince - Coolidge, Arizona
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

It was a quiet Friday night and I was sitting outside on the porch when it texted my cousin asking him what he was doing. He told me he was getting ready to go to a party in the valley some girls had invited him to. I told him it sounds fun and he invited me to go. He lives about twenty minutes away so I told him I’d be ready when he came to get me. I walked inside and my grandma asked what I was getting dressed for and I told her to go chill with my cousin Gabriel. She said if he was still drinking that no I wasn’t. I defended him by saying that I’ll drive and for her not to worry about it I’ll be okay. We argued for so long I lost track of time and we were interrupted by his car honking. I went outside and told him to go ahead my bad for making him come out for nothing and that I and my grandma were fighting and I’ll just stay here. I ended up playing basketball at the park by our house that night because I was mad at my grandma. Any other day she wouldn’t have said anything and I would’ve went with no problems. My grandma got the call the next morning at about eight thirty and called me at work to tell me my cousin had been in a car wreck and died about two o’ clock this morning. A truck ran into him on the driver side because he ran a red light. I dropped my phone and felt real sick to my stomach. Everything about the night before kept running through my mind for the rest of the day. I just kept thinking that I could’ve been with him and if I had driven that I’d be dead too. I believe my grandma is my guardian angel.