Death

Kylee - barryton, Michigan
Themes: death, family
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Death is a scary situation that everyone must face at some point in time. My Uncle Dayton and I were very close. He was my favorite uncle and we always had so much fun together. He lived in Muskegon, and I would go stay with him and my aunt during the summer time. He was a retired veteran. He used to lie out in the sun with me, wearing a speedo. He was the kind of person who would always make you smile, and if you weren’t having a good day he would find some way to cheer you up. He was always happy and he lived life to the fullest. He always wanted you to have fun no matter what.

One day, while camping with my family we got a call that he had a heart attack and passed away. From that day on I thought that my life was over. I felt like I had lost a part of me that I could never get back. I eventually got over being sad about it and realized that life goes on and that at some point in your life everyone must face death even if they don’t want to. My Uncle Dayton was a great man. He loved his family and he always thought about others before himself. He was always full of life and love. Every time my family goes to Muskegon now, I take a drive to the cemetery and visit his grave by myself. I feel that he is still here with me and that he is watching over me. I miss him a lot but I have realized that it was his time to go. I believe in the saying that “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what lies inside of us while we live.” I think that death is one of the scariest things in life. It is one of my biggest fears, but I eventually will have to face it. Nobody wants death to come, but it is something that must happen. Life is a challenge and death is the biggest fear in life.