Trust is the Key

Abby - St. Charles, Missouri

I believe in trusting and having faith in others. This belief held true as my little brother and I started to get hungry one day while babysitting our cousin. We ordered pizza, and when the doorbell rang, I realized all I had was a $100 bill. The somewhat-sketchy pizza man replied that he didn’t have close to the change we would need. The options were to go hungry or to trust the pizza man to go to Quik Trip, get change, and bring it back. Without hesitation, I looked at him, did a quick evaluation, smiled, and told him I trusted him. From the outside looking in, he had nothing to lose while I had everything to lose. He was a young guy who seemed all too quick to offer to leave with the money and “be back in no more than ten minutes”. Twenty minutes passed, and the door bell had yet to ring. In the meantime, my little brother took the time to congratulate me on wasting ninety bucks for no apparent reason. About a half an hour later, the door bell rang, and there he was. Oddly enough, I had never really doubted whether or not he would come back, nor was I extremely relieved when he did come to the door. I thanked him greatly, not for coming back, but for offering to make the trip to the gas station and to go out of his way.

From this experience, I was again reminded of the great system of dependence and accountability that our world thrives on. While there are certainly bad influences in our world, I believe that through placing trust and becoming vulnerable, the good can often shine through. I believe that in order to make people trustworthy individuals who live up to their word, I must first place all my trust in them. I believe that in order to learn about myself and others, I must have faith first. I’ve come to see trust an essential element for families, a strengthening thread for friends, and a bonding component for strangers. In my life I’ve found that no matter how meaningful or on-the-surface a relationship is, mutual trust is the key to deepening it. This I believe.