The Second Chance

C. - Napoleon, Ohio
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Many people believe that opportunity knocks only once so you have to “grab the bull by the horns.” There is a time in ones life where he or she comes to a dead end in the road and one can only go left or right. Both directions will change his or her life forever. So the question arises, which way do I go? For me, I took the chance of going one-way and hoping I would get another chance at the other direction.

As a senior in high school trying to figure out what I am going to do with my life, I was part of the football and bowling teams. I had a love for the game of football but a passion to bowl. I had a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to try out for the Saginaw Valley State University Bowling Team. This was a big deal to me because I have thought about making bowling my profession. This decision would affect my future in many ways. I was pretty good at football but very good at bowling. After many long nights of lying awake thinking about my life and what direction I should take, I decided to stick with football and pray for a second chance. (To try out.)

One morning, I was at the high school lifting weights with the team. This day was like no other day. It was the day where we tested out for our max weights. As I began a lift, I had a slight pain in my right shoulder, but I continued on. It was not three reps later; I heard a “POP” and then felt the pain. I had no strength in my right shoulder and could not move it an inch. Right then and there, I seconded guessed my self about the decision to finish my senior season of football. I kept thinking that my bowling career was over and how I would never pick up a bowling ball again. The doctor said it was a torn right trapezius muscle. He told me that I would be out for at least four weeks, and if I were not better by then, surgery would be necessary. I couldn’t believe my ears. As I sat in the doctors’ room I thought to my self, “I will have to miss football season and bowling season.” Three weeks of hard rehabilitation and many painkillers later, I got a release from the doctor to return to playing football. When I heard the news, I had tears of happiness.

Football season ended, bowling season started and I got a call from the Saginaw Valley State University Bowling Coach about coming to Saginaw and trying out for the team. I had never felt so proud in my life. As I lay in bed that same night, I again had tears of joy, knowing that I chose the right direction and everything was going to be ok. I believe that opportunity does indeed knock more than once.