I believe every one has a guardian angel.

M. - Napoleon, Ohio
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

It was the night before Christmas. I was driving home in my car thinking, how, I couldn’t wait till tomorrow; all the presents and all the gift cards! It was dark and icy that night, and a car did not get over, so I pulled over but my tires slipped on the ice. My car got stuck in the muddy grass, and it shot me past a pole and through a field. I was panicking trying to get control of my car, but I failed. While I was sliding, the only thought I had in my head was that I was going to die. After going about five- hundred feet through the field, I started gaining control of my car, but I was sliding sideways heading right for a telephone pole. Then I screamed, “Please God, help me!” My car finally came to a stop right next to the pole on the passenger side. After I called my parents and told them what had happened, they said they were going to drop my brother off to drive me home. Sitting there in the field, I realized that I was lucky to still be alive and wondered, how the car had stopped so suddenly without hitting the pole? Was it a guardian angel sent to help me?”

My stepmother had brought up the story of my oldest brother Josh and the time when he wrecked his motorcycle and almost hit a pole. My step mom said also that maybe my real mom, who passed away when I was four, was Josh and my guardian angel.

I had always felt my mom had been watching over my whole family, but at the same time maybe it was just luck. Later, sitting in my room, I looked at a picture of Josh and I when he broke his wrist. I remembered the story like it was just yesterday. He was trying to close a valve on a huge water tank. The water tank was twenty feet tall, so he needed a twenty-foot ladder. While he was trying to reach for the valve, he slipped off the ladder, fell twenty feet to the concrete floor, and only broke his right wrist. I believe that his guardian angel was there protecting him.

When I think of all the close calls that my family has been through, my belief in a guardian angel gets stronger every time. I’ve been through so much in my life already, and I know how I’ve been blessed with someone to watch over me. I believe everyone has a guardian angel.