Don’t Dwell in the Past

L - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

When I was in the fourth grade, my grandmother got very sick. In time, the school counselor found out and would call me out of class to talk. At that point I was not affected greatly, but it was not something I wanted to talk about. My family would go to the hospital and spend hours there visiting her. Being twelve-years-old, I just wanted to be a kid. On February 14, 2001 she passed away in the morning while I was at school. I was very sad for while, but I got through. I still occasionally think about what my life would be like if she was still here, but I realize that will not happen and I go on with my life. I believe that people should not be stuck in the past because life goes on.

I started playing sports in the first grade, and I am a very competitive person. I find it very hard to loose a game, but to be successful a person; I cannot dwell on the lost games because they are the past. As my softball coach once said, “We are playing in the now.” He meant not to think about the past season or the previous games whether they were won or lost. One of the hardest times so far in sports for me was my last volleyball game. As a senior in sports a person’s last game is always hard. Once the game was over I cried in the locker room until I regained my composure and then I was done. I look forward to my last season of softball and when it is done, I will be sad especially since I have played softball the longest. However, life will go on, I’ll go to college, but I will have great memories.

Getting stuck in the past happens to a lot of people, and sometimes they do not always make the best decisions. People who go through a traumatic experience like war, abuse, or sexual harassment can have a hard time moving on or forgetting. Some even go as far as drug and alcohol abuse, and some even make the choice to take their own life. I realize that an experience like those mentioned would be very hard to over come, but if people would live for the here and now and not what happened in the past, they will have a more enjoyable life. With a happier life, people are more likely to be successful and live life to the fullest.