S. - Napoleon, Ohio

I believe that life teaches me many valuable lessons and everything happens for a reason. Certain things will fall apart so that other things will fall together. I believe that everything that happens in my life happens for a reason, and because of this, I learn something new. I think that everyone has something in his or her life that has changed who he or she is, and the change happened for a reason. Everything a person goes through is not supposed to make him or her weak but stronger for living through it.

My junior year of high school my mom left to serve a one-year term overseas with a private company. When she left, I felt like I was losing my mother and my best friend. My mom is the most influential person in my life, and when she left, I felt like I was being abandoned on the side of the road. I felt like I would not be able to make it through the rest of my junior year and start my senior year by myself. She kept telling me that I could do it, and that I just needed to think positively because she would be home in three months, then six months, and then in seventy-four days.

My mom leaving has taught me a lot about myself and who I am as a person. When she first left, I really did not go out and do thing with my friends. I just wanted to stay home, and be by myself. I did not want to talk to people, and I closed a lot of people out of my life because I felt like I should not burden them with my problems. As time went on, I learned that I needed to get on with my life, and I tried to tell more people how my life was going and what I was going through. I wanted people to know, that although I was sad my mom was gone, I was going to be okay and my life would go on just like she was here. Once and awhile, I would get really down, but that was expected for someone whose best friend just left her, and I always had people there to cheer me up.

When my mom left, I learned that I did not need to always be happy; that sometimes it was okay to be sad. I just knew that whatever happened I would make it, and I would be okay. I learned that many people go through problems, but it is how you face them and what you learn from them that make you who you are. My mom leaving has made me a much stronger person, and for that I am forever grateful to her.