The Little Things

L. - Napoleon, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that the little things in life are the things that people miss the most. Being younger is something that most people miss and would give anything to be able to go back into time. But they don’t miss it until it is gone. When I was in grade school, I thought that high school would never come because it was taking too much time for me to grow up. Now that I am a senior in high school, I look back to my grade school days and would give anything to go back to the “glory days”. I believe that every person has at least one time underappreciated something that they wish was still present.

During my junior year, I was part of something that I will remember the rest of my life. The Napoleon Boys Soccer team set record after record with their success on their way to the state semi-finals. After it was all over, the thing I missed the most was enjoying the time with all my friends doing something we all loved and worked so hard at. I would give anything to be with that team on a soccer field one more time. The little things were the things I missed the most.

I have learned today to give it my all in everything I do and try not to under appreciate anything in life. Basketball has been part of my life since I was three years old; I still remember playing against my twin brother down in my basement at a very young age. Over the years my parents have taken me and my twin brother to countless basketball tournaments and basketball clinics. I cannot remember one game that at least one of my parents has not attended. As a freshman on the varsity basketball team, I underappreciated going to practices, the games, and just being on the team. And just to think that next year it will be all gone. Some people consider basketball just a sport or a leisure activity, but in my family basketball has connected and made my family very close.

With just a few weeks of practices and a handful of games left in my basketball career I am going to enjoy every day I get to play this wonderful game that once tied my family together. I believe that everyone should not take for granted what they have because nothing last forever. This I believe.