Such as a Smile

Daniel - Tucson, Arizona
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

As an employee at Safeway, during busy holidays, sometimes employees are moved to different departments of the store. Last year, for Valentine’s Day, I was brought over to work in the floral department. As I stood in the kiosk, wrapping single red roses, doing a poor job for my first there, and getting multiple little stab wounds in my hand from the thorns, a young boy, I’m guessing around eight or nine, had come over and asked for my help. Not knowing a lot about the department I felt insecure but smiled and asked what he was looking for. He had informed me that there was a special lady in his life, and would like to know what the best type of flower would be to get for her. I decided that a single wrapped pink-white rose would be appropriate and inexpensive. I wrapped the rose and sent him on his way seeing him with the world’s biggest smile.

I had gone back to my work briefly and had looked up to see the young boy had given the rose to his mother and kissed her on the cheek. The smile that had spread on her face was something unforgettable. It was the same smile the little boy had had when leaving the kiosk. He had given her his smile.

At this moment, even I had begun to smile. I had forgotten about the pain in my hand, and my lousy wrapping skills. All that would cross my mind was smiles and roses.

There have been a few moments since that day that I have seen these smiles, like the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympic Games, or the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade or Barak Obama becoming the president of the United States. It’s what keeps me going through the pain and lousy experiences in life. It’s these little things, such as a smile, that can keep life turning.

A smile cannot bring joy to the entire world, but I believe that a smile can bring joy to many. Maybe not for a month, or a week, or a day, but for a moment, that moment, your world is happy.