Your First Ticket Should be a Warning

Donna - Jacksonville, Florida
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in getting a second chance no matter how bad the situation is. Unfortunately, I didn’t receive a second chance when I got pulled over by a cop for speeding. Usually they’ll let you off with a warning, since its your first time being pulled over. However I didn’t make up any excuses that could’ve helped me out of the ticket. For example, I’m running late to work in my case to class, I have a emergency or I’m lost. But I knew for a fact that these excuses couldn’t help me out of this situation. So I just pulled over and waited until the cop approached my car. As he stood outside my car window he asked me if I knew what the speed limit was. I quickly responded 45mph, with no hesitation, he said it was 30mph but it increases farther up the road to 45mph. Afterwards he asked me for my licenses and registration. While I was retrieving the information I told him that the car was under my mom name. As I handed him the papers, he headed back to his car. About 15- 20 minutes later he returned back to my window and told me some disturbing news. The reason why he didn’t let me off with a warning because I was going 58mph in a residential area. The disturbing news was that I could’ve got arrested for reckless driving and got my licenses suspended if I was going 60mph, 20 miles over the speed limit. Not only was this disturbing but my ticket was $230 dollars and my birthday was in five days. Apparently I did receive a second chance because I knew for a fact that I was going 60mph in a residential area.