What doesn’t kill me makes me stronger

Samantha - Westwood, New Jersey
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger. That things really aren’t as bad as they seem. And that there are good people in this world, despite the numerous bad ones we may encounter.

Being a high school senior and a teenager it seems like the world is crashing down on me when the littlest thing goes wrong.

After playing soccer since I was five and being on the varsity soccer team since sophomore year, I was benched by a new coach. I used to love soccer, but now I will never play it on a team again.

At the time it seemed horrible; I was miserable and was upset that I was wasting my time. There were so many other things I felt I could be doing, such as applying to college and spending much more time on homework.

I would come home from practice and games crying, upset at how horribly I was being treated. Senior year was supposed to be the best time of my life, but sadly it was not.

My parents were my biggest supporters and comforters and I became much closer with both of them. I couldn’t have done it without them.

Then good things started happening to me in real life things that actually mattered. I had one of my articles published in the newspaper, I was being accepted to colleges and was student of the month.

I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason, but at that time I couldn’t find that reason and I was just angry that it was happening.

And then I learned something. Everything else in my life was going extremely well and I was letting my bad soccer experience cloud the good things. Soccer was just an extra thing in my life; I didn’t rely on it to get me into college. I realized that I would rather have something go wrong in soccer than in school, something that I care much more about.

Now I realize more than ever that this experience was something that is slowly developing me into an adult. I learned a lot about myself and was forced to fight through something that at the time felt like the be all end all.

There are good people in the world and I’m not going to let one bad soccer coach stop me from believing that.