Parenting, the most important job

Alyssa - Westwood, New Jersey
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that parenting is the most important job anyone could have. It’s a full time commitment and it’s for life. A parent’s job is never done as long as their kids are living. A parent has unconditional love no matter what their children do.

My parents knew the obligation they had to make when deciding to have my brother and me. They had to discuss time, money, issues, happiness, houses, joy, and life-time commitment. My parents split the duties of raising us. My dad came to all of our sporting events, was home after school, and cooked us dinner. My mom came to the events that she could, was home at nights, took us shopping, and went on business trips a lot.

When I am ready to become a parent, I need to think about what kind of parent I will be and my role in my children’s lives. My mom decided to be the main provider and didn’t get as much time with us as my dad did. She struggles with this decision everyday because she could not be there all the time.

I grew up with my father always being around, always willing to help me with my homework, and taking me to gymnastics and soccer practice. My mom would pick me up from practice, but she always wanted to be there more. I’ve always resented her job for making her travel a lot and for not being there. That resentment is what makes me treat her unfairly sometimes.

I’m not blaming my mother for not being there, that’s how I grew up and I was just use to it. I know that my mom wanted to be there all the time, but she worked hard and couldn’t always be there. I still love my parents equally, I always have.

I know that I can always fall back on my parents, my safety net. No matter what path I choose, they will help me throughout my life.

I learned and will learn how to be a parent by my parents; they raised me and will teach me the knowledge I need to know when I decide to have children.

There is no right or wrong way to raise a child, I know that now, and I will be grateful for the rest of my life.