Rising from the Ashes

Laura - Seattle, Washington
Themes: change, hope, setbacks

I believe inefficient systems must to be broken down before they can be rebuilt, and in the rebuilding, often better systems emerge.

Sounds like techno-babble from a computer scientist, I know, but this is a belief I live daily. I am a phoenix rising.

When I was 27 years old, the aches in my body made me feel like an old woman. After several visits to a physician, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, an autoimmune disease I knew nothing about. What I did know was that my body was not functioning as it had before. I was broken. It took me years to understand how I could build myself back up. I resigned from my high stress job, began to swim regularly, eat more whole foods, and surrendered to the fact that I would need help with activities of daily life. Despite my RA, all my numbers such as cholesterol, blood pressure, and blood sugar are within a healthy range. Had I not been diagnosed with RA, I doubt this would have been the case.

Most recently, my marriage of 18 years ended. Despite my best efforts to fix things, it was irreparably broken. I am now a single parent coping with a chronic illness and the limitations of not only finding a job in this economy, but also finding one that can be performed by a person with physical limitations. I have faith in my belief that I can start over and reconstruct my life. I will build one that is both different and better for my children and me. Already our house is a more peaceful and calm place, and I feel hope for the future.

As I listen to the dire economic news around the globe, my belief comes to mind. I think the old systems we are all so familiar with; the banking system, the food production system, the healthcare system, and the system of energy consumption are well on their way to a total breakdown. Experts say the recession will get worst, and when I focus on my belief, I know that is a good thing because the further the traditional systems break down, the more likely a better model will emerge, built from the ground up. Imagine the possibilities. It’s never too late to start anew, and often the result can be surprising.