The Essence of Life

Shane - Colorado SPrings, Colorado
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Sweaty and nervous standing under those bright lights, over a hundred people watching me as I started to play the notes on my guitar. That’s what I remember when I think about my very first performance. I have always been really into music, but it wasn’t till later I had really understood music was for me. Music was the single most important thing in my life, it controlled me, and quite literally, the mood I am in often reflects the song I am listening to or have most recently listened to. Music is a world in itself; we feel music and are attached to it. I personally feel like my guitar is an extension of my body. Without it I would be lost, handicapped even. Just as well, music is a great way to say something or express something important, especially if you can’t find the words to say it. For instance, I can write a song about a feeling I need to express and I can’t think of a better way to do that. My friend and band member writes many song lyrics, and his songs are all a story or a metaphor that tells about his life at that time.

Of course I play music, so it means a lot to me for that reason, but there are also many people who don’t have an ounce of musical talent who will say the same thing about music. Everyone has a song that they relate to; the song speaks to them, comforts them, and even makes them feel an unspeakable feeling. It’s just such a powerful force that everyone can relate to it. Think of a time in your life when a certain song has helped you through a harsh time, or a song you have just felt was written for you; I bet you won’t have trouble naming at least one. I believe that music is the essence of life.