Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Hannah - Colorado Springs, Colorado
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

A wise person once said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but what if the beholder looked only on the outside and never on the inside? Beauty is very complicated because many people over-exaggerate on their looks in order for people to look at them more and be that number one girl that could be in every magazine or movie.

When I was in the sixth grade, my life seemed to be only the beginning- first to wear a bra, notice boys, what new clothes to buy, and most importantly, how to wear make-up. It was also the first time I began to feel self-conscious on how I looked. Each day was a battle at school to look better and prettier than everyone else. If you made the cut, everyone would notice you more, and for once feel the notion of acceptance. One of the most traumatic moments of my life was in middle school when I was sitting with the school’s “popular girls.” I had brought my cover-up because I convinced myself that if I didn’t have it I was going to die. I had got it out because someone had asked me if I had any, and before I could hand it to the girl who needed it, the “head” popular girl had reached and grabbed it out of my hand. She let out a burst of laughter while showing it all to her friends; all the same time laughing at me. Confused, I asked what was wrong, she stood up and yelled to the top of her lungs that I had been using an age reducing cover-up. Naturally trying to defend myself, I had said that I borrowed it from my mom, only making all of them laugh even harder. After that incident I became more aware of how much I didn’t need make-up.

It took me up to the point where my parents had to transfer me to a different school. It was then when I got true friends that influenced me not to carry around so much makeup, let alone wear any. The pressure slowly lifted as I started actually looking at people from their personality, which also brought back more of my confidence to be myself more. In a way this experience has opened my eyes to notice people more from the inside instead of just the outside. It is so hard to in a world where everywhere you look the pressure of looking like someone on the cover of every magazine, T.V., and advertisement. Now in my senior year, I am growing to understand that most people will continue to rely only on their looks, but through this experience I feel that life is too short to waste all on just enhancing the way I look. To me, looks can trigger a reaction, but it’s what on the inside that leaves a statement of true beauty.