I believe in Perseverence

Dan - Western Springs, Illinois

I Believe in Perseverance

Every great person has done something that was not easy and that required, to some degree, a little self-sacrifice. Decisions to persevere and sacrifice to achieve ones goals are scattered throughout history as examples for us to follow. For example, Thomas Edison wouldn’t have sat on his workbench and failed time and time again before completing the light bulb without a fair bit of perseverance. Edison could have quit and settled with his already astounding accomplishments and left the frustrating task of the light bulb to someone else, but he didn’t. This determination is what made him great and in out own moments of triumph can and will make each of us great as well.

Perseverance has already changed my life. When I was in the fourth grade my mother signed me up for piano lessons. I, like all beginners, hated piano lessons and wanted nothing to do with the juvenile two note songs and all the practicing and recitals that my mother expected from me. Sure enough though I kept showing up to class, admittedly partly because me mother forced me to go but I will credit myself with a little perseverance from applying myself and committing to the task. Today, I have moved on from piano to guitar, but I would be nowhere with out the background in music that was instilled on me early on at those piano lessons. My story might not be as vital to the world as Edison’s, but through perseverance, I became who I am today.