Traditional Thinking

Jonathan - Western Springs, Illinois

As I am rapping up my homework for the weekend and preparing for school the next day, I can always look forward to one thing before the cycle for the next week repeats as usual. At exactly six o’clock every Sunday evening me and my family go sit around our dining room table and talk about our successes and difficulties about the following week as well as possible conflicts for the week ahead. This pastime has been reoccurring in my family since I started Kindergarten at the age of five. That is why I believe that traditions can keep a spirit alive when it seems almost nothing else can.

In the past year, my family has been in a somewhat economic downfall, just like most other families and companies. My parents both have to work twice as hard for an even less pay just so we can live the traditional life that we have been ever since I could remember. Sometimes they are too tired to have a legitimate conversation with me and my sister after having to work for the past twelve hours. Every Sunday they sleep into ten o’clock so they can catch up on the hours of sleep that they have lost because of their new job statuses.

But every Sunday evening we sit around the table and eating a home-cooked meal by my mother in an attempt to catch up on the week’s activities of hardship and joys. And for the first time that week, I see a genuine smile after hearing that my sister set her alarm clock for seven at night instead of in the morning or that I did the wrong pages of Spanish homework the night before and had to rush right before the class in order to finish on time. They show real interest in the new club that I joined or in the newest thing that everybody has to have.

Even though these are not the best of times, they are not necessarily the worst either. My family has had a rough 2008 and even though things look as bad as they could get, without the traditions that me and my family uphold everything would seem a little bleaker and the future of our family would not seem as bright. So I feel that in order for my family to look forward to a better future, I must believe in the traditions that my family has kept throughout the years.