working hard

Jordan - chesterfield, Missouri
Themes: work

It all started in Hebrew School about two or three years ago. I was never the best student in the class. Maybe it was because I already knew English, and my brain could only hold one language. Maybe it was because I hated my teacher and she hated me. I was so bad at Hebrew that my teacher actually told me that I was horrible, and I will never get Bar Mitzvahed. That day changed how I felt about Hebrew and my Bar Mitzvah forever

Months later I started to meet with the Rabbi and the Cantor. The Rabbi and the Cantor are the Priests of the temple. I worked extremely hard for almost an entire year. Studying and practicing I learned all my blessing, my Haftorah, and my Torah. The Torah is the Bible of Judaism. I also wrote and memorized my own speech and blessing. Finally the day came: I knew all my hard work would pay off. My heart raced as I stepped out onto the Bema, which is a stage. I went through my entire service perfectly. Then I got to celebrate at my party which was a lot of fun. I wish I could have seen the face of my old Hebrew teacher that day as I walked off the Bema.

Months later I ran into my old teacher. She walked up to me and said, “So I heard you got Bar Mitzvahed.” I said “yeah.” Just to prove how much she didn’t believe in me, the next thing she was “Really?! I just lost 50 dollars!” She had bet someone that I would never get Bar Mitzvahed. That’s when I realized just because someone doesn’t believe in you doesn’t mean you won’t succeed. A little hard work and you can do anything you want to. I will always remember the time my teacher didn’t believe in me and I proved her wrong. It’s a lesson I will use the rest of my live. When I’m doing something hard and I’m the only one who believes in me.