Important or Nice

Rachael - Idaho Falls, Idaho

It’s Nice to be Important but it’s more Important to be Nice

It was a cool, yet sunny, winter morning and I could feel the anticipation and excitement burning inside me. My dad and I were getting ready for a day trip to town. These trips were always a treat for me, mostly due to the fact that that I could tell my dad what was going on in life. My dad would always give me some good pointers and give me some great dad-to-daughter advice.

As we stepped out of the house door and into the garage, we started loading the few things that we had planned to bring with us. I was sharing with my dad what was on my mind. One quality my father has is he is a sensational listener and he never interrupts me. As I was babbling on, I spilled out my whole sob story of how I thought I would never amount to anything extraordinary. I told him how I would never be famous, and that no one would ever know my name. My dad could tell I was being a little on the egocentric side of things. At that very moment, for the first time, my dad interrupted me and said, “Rachael, It’s nice to be important but it’s more important to be nice.”

I haven’t stopped thinking about what my dad said to me that day. Since then I’ve been trying a little harder to reach out to others and not focus on “ME! ME! ME!” all the time. What a world we would have if we all centered on others’ feelings rather than on what others think. I’ve pondered on the statement that my father told me that day. I don’t think it will ever leave me. I have truly discovered that it is better to pick up a dropped book for someone or share a smile than to be significant in the world’s eyes. It is better to lift someone up that to be powerful. Sometimes the “in” crowd isn’t always the best choice. It is nice to be important but it is more important to be nice, this I believe.