Life is Fragile

Julie - 29323, South Carolina
Themes: children

I Believe Life is Fragile

I believe that life is as fragile as a butterfly’s wings. I believe that it takes an awakening to realize this, because I believe that we must experience its delicateness for ourselves. Unfortunately, several people I know have lost the most precious thing that God can bless us with: a child. For many of them, what started off as an ordinary day ended with heartrending news. I found myself at this threshold on a Saturday, morning in March 2006. My two year old daughter and I made a routine trip to a local Wal-Mart. My daughter has always been a very compliant child, so when she asked to sit in the back of the cart I had no doubt she would do exactly as I said, to remain seated at ALL times. As we were shopping, my daughter spied a toy she wanted to see. So, I took the time to allow her to explore the toy as it sat on the shelf. I stood beside her with an arm around her as she stood in the back of the cart. When it was time to move on, I asked her to sit down as I made my way back around to the front of the cart. I heard a small noise and was horrified as I saw her topple head first out of the back of the cart…my efforts to reach her in time were futile. I scooped her into my arms as quickly as I could; only wanting to hold her and see that she was alright. God obviously had his hand around my baby that day because her tiny head had a three and a half inch skull fracture that caused no damage. Her skull did not push in towards her brain, nor did she have a knot that swelled out. Her skull merely felt mushy. Her doctor was amazed when he looked at her x-rays. He said that she was extremely lucky and that it could not have been a better situation for what had happened. I realize that my life could have been tragically changed that day; I realize that life is fragile. I also realized that nothing is promised. We are merely “borrowing” our children from God because ultimately they belong to him not us. I believe that the power of prayer is magnificent; I believe that faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains; I believe that God loves us and allows us to experience things – good and bad – to help us grow in our daily walk with him. I believe that my daughter is a miracle, as is every child, that should be adored and appreciated. I believe that we hold our children’s hands for such a short time, and we should savor everyday we are blessed to have them!