Post-Operation Procedures

Lisa - Los Angeles, California

Next week, I’m having my fourth spine surgery in two years. I’ve got degenerative disk

disease. After this operation, half of my spine will be fused. I’ll be tethered-together with

titanium rods and screws. Each time I come home from the hospital, I’m shocked that I’m

still alive. I will lie in bed for weeks, propped-up on a mountain of pillows. I won’t be

able to read, because I can’t use my arms. My hands won’t turn the pages. I can’t watch

television, because the Inquisition-designed neck brace I’ll be wearing, won’t let me. All

I can do is listen and think. I’ll listen to NPR, James Taylor, The Beatles, WEST SIDE

STORY and SPAMALOT. I’ll think about my past and my future; my three, amazing,

talented sons; my incredible friends and family and my genius doctors. I’ll imagine

stories and characters; novels and screenplays. And I’ll think about the things I believe.

I believe that the meaning of Life is to feel as alive as you can for as long as you’ve got.

I believe that what women really want is to be taken care of, and what men really want is approval.

I believe that the least lovable people need the most love.

I believe that everyone looks smarter in a library.

I believe a woman will always tell you the price, if she bought it on sale.

I believe the quickest way to a woman’s heart is through her mind.

I believe we love people more when they love us back.

I believe that people want to laugh. At anything.

I believe that the smartest people know what they don’t know.

I believe that people who cannot laugh at themselves deserve to be the butt of the joke.

I believe if you can’t say something nice, say something nice, anyway.

I believe we create the relationships we will have with our adult children before they’re born.

I believe that if you can’t be with the one you love – it’s okay to cry.

I believe if someone is threatened by you, it’s because they want to be you.

I believe that covering up a pimple doesn’t mean you don’t have a pimple.

I believe that if you’re mean, you are doomed.

I believe that our children want us, more than they want stuff.

I believe that people are more interested in what you have to say when you whisper.

I believe we are more fascinating when we listen, than when we speak.

I believe that the Sense of Smell is the most under-rated of The Five Senses.

I believe that smiling is contagious.

I believe my best teachers are my children.