Life Goes On

Chantel - Runnells, Iowa
Themes: death

Robert Frost once wrote, “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.” I believe that life, does go on. It doesn’t matter the situation or experience, good or bad, it still goes on. The times that are the hardest are the times when it seems nothing can get better, but I ensure that they do. Dealing with death, loss, the break up of a relationship, and people exiting my life without notice are among my most difficult times.

When I was in eighth grade, my aunt died in a car accident. I asked the typical questions after such a shock like “why did this happen?” and “why did she have to be taken away like this?” I didn’t think the pain would go away. I grieved, and now years have passed, and I still think about her every day; but life went on.

I have also experienced several people in my life who have just picked up and left without a forewarning. The first time I lost a good friend was hard and I thought we would never be friends again. A silent year passed, we grew up, and mended the broken friendship. We’re friends now, not as good as we used to be, but at least we know we still have each other. My first big breakup was also one of the lowest times of my life. I beat myself up about it, and I was really negative. I thought I would never get over him, but I did, and life went on.

Dealing with tough times is a part of growing up. These experiences only made me stronger and prepared me for the future. Now situations aren’t so bad because I know how to handle them. By thinking positively about the future, I am able to heal faster. When things get challenging, I just sigh and think to myself, “Don’t worry, because life goes on.”