A Role Model for Others

Janna - Pleasant Hill, Iowa

Rosa Parks insightfully said, “Each person must live their life as a model for others.” Like her, I believe that everyone serves as a role model for someone else; they might not know it, but they do. A lot of younger siblings look up to their older brothers and sisters because they want to be just like them. I looked up to my older sisters when I was younger, and I still do today.

When I was in 3rd grade, I would sneak into my older sister’s room when she wasn’t home. I would try on her clothes and put on her make up. I looked up to her, and I wanted to be exactly like her. When she let me wear her clothes or offered to do my hair in the morning before school, I was the happiest little girl ever. Wearing her clothes or having her do my hair the way she did her hair made me feel special. I went to school and told all my friends that I was wearing my sister’s clothes, and they thought it was the coolest thing ever. I copied everything my sister did and it probably annoyed her at times, but she didn’t make a big deal out of it.

I looked up to my sisters, and I am pretty sure my younger sister and younger cousins look up to me. I learned to live my life as a good role model when my little cousin repeated a word I had said. When I was babysitting my baby cousins one day, I accidently dropped a glass plate on the floor and yelled out a curse word. My little two year old cousin heard me and started saying the word. I tried to stop him from saying it and told him it was a bad word. Every time he did something bad, we would put him in timeout, so he told me I should go to timeout since I had said a bad word. I ended up going to timeout in the corner, because it was the only way to make him stop saying the curse word. That day, I realized that we are all role models and we don’t know when the people who look up to us are watching.

Today, I try to live my life as a role model for others all the time. I don’t want to do anything bad in front of my younger cousins, and I don’t want to disappoint anyone. I hope other people can realize that they are role models. I hope they look at all the people they look up to or the people who look up to them. We are all role models for someone, and that is why I have to do what is right all the time. Someone who looks up to us can be watching us when we don’t know they are. That is the reason why I take Mrs. Parks advice and live my life as a model for others. You might not know it, but you are a role model for someone. Everyone is. And this means that we are able to change their lives. It can be in a good or bad way, but we can change their lives.