A Change in Friends

Meredith - Runnells, Iowa

Oprah Winfrey once said, “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” To me, this means have friends who do not put you down and who want you to achieve all of your goals. I strongly believe that my friends make up who I am and how people see me.

There will always be people who want to do better than you in everything and will do whatever they can to see that it happens. For me, this person was my old best friend of ten years. She was always telling me things that would put me down so that I wouldn’t try and just give up. I gave up many things and opportunities that I wish I would have taken now. For example, when I was in seventh grade I played volleyball. I loved going to practice and letting out energy. None of my friends played except for me, so while I was at practice and games they were all together. They made me feel left out and encouraged me to quit. I am horrible at peer pressure, so of course, I did as they said and I didn’t go out in eighth grade.

I now have new friends who encourage me to always do my best and to succeed in everything I try. Since I have been hanging out with different people, my whole life has become easier and a lot more fun. I love just spending Saturday nights with the girls, and watch movies where there is no pressure or stress. My grades have gone up; I get along with my family, and I am closer to them now. My mom and I hang out a lot more than we used to. She takes me to the mall, and I go to my brothers’ games with her. I believe that all this is because I surround myself with people who want to see me succeed and care about me.

Friends are one of the most important things in a teenager’s life. Friends who are not good friends and encourage the wrong choices are not really friends. I believe in myself, and the people who care about me.