I Believe in Happily Ever Afters

Ashley - Rexburg, Idaho

Today’s world is one full of doubt and frustration. We spend most of our lives worrying. Our worries range from trying to obtain the basic necessities of life to whether or not we should wear white after Arbor Day….Labor Day…whatever. Still, worrying is worrying. And we spend so much time worrying that some of us now doubt that we’ll ever have a time without it. So when I say that I believe in happily ever after, many (if not most) people respond as if I’d just uttered the six dumbest words in the universe. But even in the worst of times, I honestly do believe that everyone has a chance at their own personal happily ever after.

I suppose people may be critical of my belief because it’s reminiscent of fairytales like Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella where the heroin spends most of the story dancing, singing, sleeping and/or waiting for some hero to come and magically make her life perfect. This is exactly the opposite of what I mean. I believe that “happily ever after” is the ultimate form of overcoming; it’s something you choose to achieve. I believe that being happy is a choice. I have to choose to be happy for myself because no knight in shining armor is going to come along and make my life “perfect” for me. Not only do I enjoy life more this way, but I find that the people I’m around tend to enjoy it with me.

I came to this frame of mind when I was at one of my all time lows. I was sad, lonely, and confused. I hated it. I didn’t know what to do about it until I met a girl (now one of my closest friends) who simply decided to be happy. She just stopped being sad. The more I got to know her, the more I wanted to be happy too. She has a contagious personality that one can’t help but love. I wanted to be like that. That’s when I officially decided to be happy. I didn’t need anyone or anything to do it. I just needed someone to show me how.

There will always be worry in life, and pain, and heartaches too. But I believe that it’s how a person bounces back that counts. No magic or rescuers. Just yourself.