Compassion and Service

Lindsay - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: humanism

Compassion and Service

In my everyday life I like to do my best to show that I am there for those in need of help. Even though I may not be able to do everything, for everyone, everywhere, I can do something, for someone, somewhere, even something as simple as giving a smile or saying hello, it could be enough just for them know that they are noticed.

Rachel Joy Scott was a freshman when she became a victim of the tragedy at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, on 20 April 1999. “Rachel’s Challenge” was her story as presented at an assembly when I was a high school freshman myself. Rachel lived a life of compassion until the day she died. She believed that if one person could go out of their way to show compassion, it would start a chain reaction of the same. She said that, until such a chain reaction is put into effect, people will never know how far a little kindness can go. Rachel’s Challenge inspired me. I determined that I would dedicate my life to showing compassion and serving others. Even though I never knew her, Rachel Joy Scott has changed my life so much so that I want to show more compassion to those around me, I want to serve them in a way that will help them to believe that there is some goodness in the world today, that there is still hope for a brighter future.

As a busy, young college student, finding time to perform service while balancing a heavy workload can be a little difficult, but I should at least try to brighten the days of those that I encounter. I would like to set a goal for this semester to find a way to complete at least ten hours of service for someone. I may find it to be quite a challenge, but I can certainly try. And as they say, it’s the thought that counts.

I would like to finish this essay by giving sincere thanks to those who have influenced my life for the better. Rachel has changed my life in ways that I never thought possible and I hope that I can someday be the person that others look to, one who inspires others as she has inspired me. I look to her with intense admiration for how she lived her life. I hope that I can cause a change for the better in the lives of as many people, friends and strangers alike, as possible.