You Can Become Anything

Stephan - Duncombei, Iowa

Picture your role model in your head. Some people will imagine their sports hero like Michael Jordan, others will picture their favorite author or singer and yet some might envision family members such as their mom, dad, grandma or grandpa. These people probably became your role model because they are successful, but they didn’t get that way by chance. I believe in what Coach Vince Lombardi once said. I believe that the only time success come before work is in the dictionary. This is true in so many aspects of life, anywhere from athletics to academics.

What I’m trying to say is you don’t become successful just by sheer luck. People work their tails off in order to achieve what they want. Take Michael Jordan for example. Back when he first started playing in high school, he didn’t even start! He didn’t put his head down or give up, now look at him, he is considered to be the best basketball player the NBA has ever seen, and also his a successful entrepreneur creating the Jordan franchise and spokesman for various companies such Hanes. Still need more proof. Bill Gates. Bill Gates dropped out of college with a friend to start a company. Now looked what happened. It just so happens that he is the richest man in the world. Either of these a coincidence, I don’t think so. All of these were achieved by long hard hours either in the gym working out or at the office perfecting a computer operating system.

On a personal level this is true for me too. Last year, during my junior year in high school, I suffered an injury some people consider career ending. My doctors even said that this wouldn’t be easy and some people can’t do it. I went through with it knowing that I could make it through. I spent six months going through rehab and physical therapy and alas I made it.

Our football team made it to the state playoffs this year, the first time in twelve years, did this happen by chance, again, no. No more than three weeks after our season ended last year, we started to train for the next season. We spent countless hours in the weight room getting stronger, and early mornings in the gym getting faster. We also went through vigorous summer work outs and camps. Then all of our hard work paid off in the end when we qualified for state.

Think of anyone who has made an impact on your lives, from the greats to the small town farmer, they’ve all worked their fingers to their bones trying to be the best they can be. For this I believe.