My Second Chance

Phyllis - Leawood, Kansas

This I believe.

America is the land of second chances.

Suddenly widowed on June 4, 2000, at age 47 with six children, three still under 18, I found myself alone and distraught, 21 days before what would have been our 28th wedding anniversary.

No one came to my rescue, no strangers aided me.

But with the help of my children, I survived.

Fast forward almost nine years and I am now a federal worker with a second chance, and almost three years of federal service.

I am back in college and on a new career path.

I am 55 – almost 56 – the same age my husband, George, was when his heart stopped in a Denver, Colorado hotel room with our four sons.

I have lived the nightmare of loneliness and emotional death.

And just when I thought I wouldn’t have a second chance, that my life was over, my new husband, David, was sent to me.

David is my guardian angel who has given me new hope. He is my physical trainer, my friend, and a great stepdad. He refers to his two children and my six children as “our eight children.”

I like to think that my first husband sent David to me to help fill the void in my life, to give me a second chance at happiness…this I believe…