Cheating

Elliott - Lake Oswego, Oregon

“Call Your Hits!”

The phrase that makes anyone partaking in the hobby of airsoft cringe with fear rings out yet again. Now, when I say “airsoft”, I’m not talking about the clear spring-powered gun you get at Big 5. I’ m talking about the people who get actual military gear, obscenely expensive replica firearms (AKA man-toys), and other things pertaining to the lack of a significant other, just to go pretend to shoot their friends in the woods. Based around realism, the game requires a large degree of honesty to play. This leads to plenty of people playing who lack this integrity, and ruining it for the rest of us in the process.

I believe that much of this aggravation can be avoided by simply trying to view the problem from other’s perspectives.

Any situation or conflict can be resolved by seeing the problem through the other party’s eyes, and giving them the benefit of the doubt. For example, if a student is taking a test, and he stretches his arms in a manner that could look like he is cheating. The teacher would then confront the “cheater” with their suspicions. Obviously, the student will deny everything, and possibly get angry in the process. This will lead to more suspicion in the teacher, and eventually, lead to the student being sent to the office, referred to the principal, parents called, etcetera. While this is not necessarily a common occurrence, or a horribly evil happening, it could easily be avoided if the teacher had simply given the student the benefit of the doubt.

Talking about this, I feel reminded of a personal experience. I was attending a charity airsoft event, called “Santa’s War III”, and had seen, and proceeded to creep up on a small group of people from the army of general Santa Claus. Being the loyal soldier of Grinchistan I had become, and as the honorable Adolf Grinchler had told us to eliminate any and all of the Santa’s Army fighters on sight, I opened up with a gas blow back pistol after I had found a good position of cover. None of the enemies called themselves out, but rather than screaming obscenities at them, a common occurrence on the field, I let it go. In the end, the two other guys I was with and I approached them and saw they had already been “killed”. During the whole ordeal, not once did I hear the words “call your hits” uttered.

And so, whether you are taking a test, playing with overly expensive toys or anything in between, trying to see life from other’s points of view just might stop a needless conflict from happening. This I believe.