I Believe In Access

Claudia - Denver, Colorado

I Believe In Access

I believe that all men—all people—are not created equal, but are afforded equal opportunity, under the Constitution of the United States of America, to ascend to their full potential. I believe that one day, all Americans, including the 60 million Americans with a disability, will have the same opportunity to cast their constitutionally guaranteed right to vote. By that I mean they will have access and finally have a voice and be counted. And, although the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 gave people with a disability the right to equal access to education, I believe, that one day they will actually have it. I believe that one day the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 will be embraced by all Americans—and adhered to. This is still not the case. I believe that one day Americans with disabilities will be cherished as contributing members of their communities, rather than as cases of charity. This will happen when we own up to the fact that anyone, at any time, could become a person with a disability. I believe that one day people with disabilities will share the same financial rewards and freedoms to pursue their dreams. I believe that one day the barriers to access to transportation, education, housing, employment, and full participation in community life is possible for people with disabilities. I believe that one day people with disabilities will be invited to the table to be part of the mainstream discussion of civil rights.

And I believe that through the miracles of medical science and stem cell research, one day I will see again. I believe in hope, change, and the magic of our new president, Barack H. Obama.