Family and Friends

Lili - Lake Oswego, Oregon

A person’s friends and family are the core of their daily lives. You need them as much as they need you. Without either one life can feel unfulfilled. I first learned this lesson when I moved from my home state of Florida to Ontario, Canada. Leaving behind my best friend Jessica was the hardest part. We had been two peas in a pod since the age of three, and that was all ending. It took a while for some of those in Canada to accept me for me. If I did not have family and friends, I do not know how I could have made the change. I believe that the best thing in someone’s life is friends and family.

My father worked as an animator for Disney for fifteen years. He worked at a studio in Florida, until it had to be shut down and 400 people lost their jobs. Dad searched and searched for a job nearby, but he could not find any. Finally he found one in Toronto, Ontario.

Leaving Florida could not have been nearly as hard as making new friends. After about one year, I made three really great friends who I still keep in touch with today. They helped to make my life feel complete again. I felt immensely happy for the next two and a half years, until my mom gave us the news.

The news specified on the fact we had to move back to the states. My dad got another job offer at Liaka in Portland, the company that made Coraline. We had to move, again. I was not prepared for this; I needed my new found friends as much as I needed Jessica. How could I leave them behind?

Two years have passed in Oregon, and I still don’t feel comfortable here. At times, I feel like a ticking time bomb, and one little mention of the word moving will set me off. But then I remember how my friends and family are here to back me up. They make the tough experiences less hard and frustrating. Life is easier with them beside me. This I Believe.