I believe staying active throughout life is important.

Dave - Liverpool, New York
Themes: sports

I believe that remaining active throughout life is very important. According to health.gov people who are physically active for more than 7 hours a week are at a 40% lower risk of dying early than those who are active for less than 30 minutes a week. In my life I have an example from each end of the spectrum. On the one side, there’s my grandfather who is very active and has benefitted greatly from it. On the other hand, my grandmother does minimal physical activity and it has affected her life negatively.

First there’s my grandfather. He has remained active throughout his entire life. He is 87, almost 88 years old and is still as healthy as most people in their fifties and sixties. He runs 5 miles a day most days of the week. He plays 18 holes on most days of the week during the warmer months of the year. He understands the importance of his health and knows that he can control it. By taking charge of his health he can enjoy life more and can do just about any activity anyone throws at him, which allows him to spend more time with the people he cares about such as his family.

My grandmother on the other side of the family has let old age take over her life. I have watched her progressively become less active through her old age. She doesn’t leave her home anymore. She can’t even do a simple task such as getting the mail. She just sits in her chair and watches television or reads a book all day every day.

I have just showed you two examples from my life of two completely different lifestyles and how they affect the individual as well as the people associated with them. My grandfather is active and social and enjoys life to its fullest with no though about his age whatsoever. On the other hand, my grandmother allows her age to control her. She uses it as an excuse not to be physically active. In order to enjoy your life it is important to stay active so that you can control your health. This is why I believe staying active throughout life is important.