One Word

Stephanie - Cedar Grove, New Jersey
Themes: hope, setbacks

This I believe. That one word can change everything. Layoff. That word does not mean anything until you sit in a room and someone says it at you. It is not a word that is spoken to you, you are too numb to be spoken to, instead you are spoken at. The shock of what do I now hits you like a brick wall; it is instant and traumatic. To be laid off is to be rejected. We define ourselves by what we do, “I am a doctor,” I am a waitress,” “I am a teacher.” “I am unemployed.” I am nothing.

This I believe. That one word can change everything. Hope. Hope is like someone throwing you a rope when the floor is crumbling beneath you. The thing is, sometimes we get so caught up trying to salvage the floor that we forget to lift up our heads. Not only that, but you have to reach for hope, you have to grasp the rope with every ounce of strength in your body. You have to nurture hope and hold onto the rope with everything you have or it will slip through your fingers. I am hopeful.

This I believe. That one word can change everything and that hope conquers all.