The Power of the Present

sally - westcliffe, Colorado

I believe in taking a walk every morning and every evening. I believe in watching clouds in the middle of the day and stargazing in the middle of the night. I believe in lying on the grass and feeling weight of the world turning underneath me. I believe inhaling deeply the aromas of the earth, like the smell of the forest floor after a rainstorm, and the crisp scent of autumn leaves after the first snowfall. I believe in spring when the birds sing again and how it makes the doors of my heart open wide and breathe. I believe in thunderstorms, blizzards, azure sky and green summer leaves. I believe the cadmium yellow of aspens in fall is pure gold.

I believe in the present moment, in closing my eyes and listening. I believe in smooth white paper and a beautiful pen. I believe in a blank white canvas and a pallet of colors. I believe in the power of imagination. And I believe that art and literature have the potential to change the world.