Christmas Cookies

Jill - Neenah, Wisconsin

The main ingredient in life is the love of your family. All Throughout my life, I have been fortunate enough to enjoy this love brought on by my parents and my sister. I believe in Christmas cookies.

We have always been a close family and I think one thing that kept us so close was how we got together every year and baked Christmas cookies. This classic tradition all began when my mom was very young, my grandpa, being a very versatile sort of man, would make cookies with his kids every Christmas season. Ever since I can remember, my mom and dad have been doing this with my sister and me, every single year. It’s a time for us to enjoy each other’s company, share stories, and talk about old memories we’ve all experienced together.

This year is different from all the rest. My sister went off to college this past fall to study technical theater. She does not come home as often as I’m sure she would like to, so unfortunately, she misses out on some things. This year, she missed out on our Christmas cookie baking day. As my mom and I were making cookies just the other day, I realized it was very different. Things seemed a lot more quiet than normal. We could tell it was different and we both knew exactly why. My big sister was gone. I had been growing further apart from her lately so my mom and I decided that from next year forward, we are going to make sure that she is here to help keep our tradition alive.

I have realized a huge thing in this past couple of weeks, one of the main ingredients in my life isn’t around as much anymore to keep my life one tasty treat. It has been a bit more on the bland side and I miss the way it used to taste. This is why I believe in Christmas cookies. They are the glue that holds my family together and make us all forget about our problems and let everyone simply have an enjoyable time. Without these scrumptious treats that we all covet so much, I don’t know where I would be. They are like the outcome of all the great ingredients in my life, my family and our love for each other.