If You do the Right Thing, Good Things Will Come to You

Jennifer - Hauppauge, New York

Last month I learned an embarrassing secret about one of my close friends. I promised I would not say a word to anyone; I would keep it only to myself. A few days later, we got in a huge argument and I contemplated letting that secret out just to hurt her. I thought about it for days but still could not decide what to do. I had a huge dilemma on my hands.

Throughout my childhood and still to this day, my mother has taught me plenty of valuable lessons, but this one was by far the most useful. “If you do the right thing, good things will come to you.” It may seem like an easy concept to follow, but it’s actually a bit more complicated than it sounds. Trying my hardest to be nice to others, even if they are not being nice to me, refraining from screaming at my sister when she innocently borrowed my necklace, or something like throwing a piece of trash in the garbage can that some stranger through on the floor, these are all examples of how to do the right thing. Most people would think, if a person was acting cruel towards me, then why should I treat them like royalty, or, I have told my sister not to go in my room several times, but she still disobeyed me, and that’s gross, I am not picking up someone else’s trash, they are perfectly capable of taking care of it themselves. However, these are the good deeds that make you your own person and noticed by the people that matter the most.

“If you do the right thing, good things will come to you.” You can call it karma, fate, coincidence, whatever you like. I can honestly say that having a positive attitude and carrying out good deeds, has brought me to where I’ve wanted to be. I have always tried my hardest to treat others the way I wanted to be treated and in return I have received respect from those who originally did not fancy me too much. All of this completely proves that in life, on a day-to-day basis “if you do the right thing, good things will come to you.”

When I asked my mother for advice in the situation with my friend, she told me if I let her secret out it would just make a bigger mess than has already been created, and she was right. She then recited for me the phrase she has been beating into my head for years; “If you do the right thing, good things will come to you.” I listened to her advice and did not hurt my friend. I was not going to let a stupid argument ruin a great friendship.