Be True

Maria - Burlington, Massachusetts

I believe in the power of being true to yourself and to the people you love. Short and sweet, this is my approach to life. Growing up, I had a habit of getting caught up in trying to appease everyone in my life. Finally I realized that I was miserable because I wasn’t thinking about what I really wanted, and what made me happy. It is a horrible feeling to wake up one morning and have it dawn on you that you are completely unsatisfied with your life.

I have very strong beliefs about how I want to live, and I do not compromise these for anything. Trying to make other people happy means nothing when at the end of the day, you can’t say that you are pleased with yourself. This doesn’t mean that you have to be selfish and only do what you want, it just means that you need to do what you feel is right, and always do right by the people you love. I think that if you don’t compromise yourself for other people, and if you are honest and loyal to the people you care about, you will always be able to find happiness in any circumstances.

Being true to yourself means listening to that little voice that nags you when you’re about to do something that doesn’t sit right. Knowing how you want to live, and what morals and ideals you want to stand by are a big part of being able to be true to yourself. People have a tendency to get caught up in what their friends and peers are doing, and it is easy to forget who you are in the midst of things. For this reason, it is vital to understand the person you are, and the person you want to be. Loyalty to your friends and family goes along with this philosophy because no one feels right with themselves if they betray or disappoint someone they care about. You can always feel like yourself if you are true to your morals and stand by your loved ones.

In my experience, my philosophy has worked fantastically. I have no regrets, because I know that everything I do is my own, sound decision, and I find my loyalty towards my loved ones returned tenfold. My philosophy has not only brought me contentment, but has also gained me a network of support from the people I care about. I know that in any situation I might find myself in, I will always have plenty of help or advice waiting in the wings.