I Get Knocked Down…

Stephanie - Rockford, Michigan

What happens when a child falls while learning to ride his bike or when a football player is viciously tackled to the ground? They do not lay there wondering why they were the ones to fall. Instead both of them find a way to stand up and try again. I think this is true with all human beings; when we fall, we have to find a way to get back on our feet. I know this is an old cliché, but it is one I believe in one-hundred percent.

The past four years are where my “falling downs” have been most frequent. My parents have threatened divorce many times over, my sisters has Crohn’s Disease, an incurable disease that affects the abdominal area, in which she has had to receive four surgeries, one being life threatening. The worst “fall” of all was receiving news that my mom was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer on top of already having breast cancer. Yes, it is rough, and yes, I am scared, but I have learned that in order to keep focus on my life and not lose control I have to have an optimistic attitude and pick myself up from off the ground, dust off the dirt and keep going. I grow stronger every time I do stand back on my feet in circumstances like these; I will know how to overcome the many hardships yet to happen to me.

Many, if not everybody, have experienced the feeling of falling, whether it is as drastic as a deceased loved one, to getting an F on a school test. Yet we do not sit there with our hands in the air screaming “Why ME?” Wallowing in pity does not bring back the dead or bring up a grade. So instead we pick ourselves up and eventually start to live life again or study harder on a test.

I believe in the falling, but even more I believe that after we fall we have to search for a way to get back on our feet so we can continue to move forward with our lives.