American Muscle Cars

Arveen - Rockford, Michigan

I believe in American muscle cars– they’re more than just fast cars with big engines. They, in a way, symbolize the past American culture and the glory, honor, and privilege of being American. American muscle cars are big, bulky, powerful, and, most importantly, gas guzzlers; a perfect symbol to represent the power and wealth of safety features, they lack modern technology, they’re loud, the ride is rough, the gas economy is low, and they’re limit in supply which makes them more expensive. So why buy one? Well, I guess if you’re a normal, practical person, you’ll go for the more logical, dependable vehicle like a Honda or a Toyota, or maybe a Saturn if you’re into American sedans. But if you’re like me, and have a passion for muscle cars and the iconic value they posses, they you’ll ask yourself, “why not buy one?”

When you turn the ignition, you’re not just starting a car, you’re opening a portal into the past. You’re diving into the generation of America when the civil rights acts were created, the invention of the cheeseburgers and French fries came about, and Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe were superstars on your black-and-white television set. Just feather the gas pedal a little and you can feel those four barrel carburetors opening up the throttle body to feed the monstrous V8 engine under the hood. The vibrations of the accelerated piston valves and serpentine belts shake the entire cabin and crawls up your spine and up into your neck. Take the car for a drive and you can’t help but admire the power and nostalgia of driving such a classic car. You can pretend you’re Steve McQueen in one of the greatest car chases of all time, or you can be the Knight Rider, bringing justice to common villains.

When you’re done driving the car, you take the keys out of the ignition and store it safely in your garage…until you drive it again and awaken the past of America. I believe in muscle cars because they are more than just cars, they are moving symbols that bring back the highlights of America’s past cultures, traditions, and events. I believe in muscle cars because I believe, like in the Disney and Pixar movie Cars, that sometimes people need to drive not to make good time, but to have a good time.