True Colors

Lacey - Malta, Ohio

“It’s better to hated for who you are than to be loved for who you’re not.” I believe in being myself though thick and thin. What other people think of me is less important than what I think of myself. I would rather have friends that like me for me than have fake friends for the wrong reasons. Who I am will always be more important than what I do.

Even subtle changes to impress someone, even myself, can make me feel like I’m not truly being myself. One time a while ago, I decided I wanted to change my handwriting because I disliked how sloppy mine looked. I tried a lot of different styles and each time I changed it a friend would ask me why I was doing it. Eventually my best friend told me how much she liked my handwriting. I realized that even my handwriting is part of who I am. If I change even that tiny part, I’m not being myself.

This summer I had the chance to meet a bunch of new people and the option to recreate myself into whoever I wanted to be. At first I tried it, but I soon found out that I was making friends who liked me because of who I was trying to be. I quickly got tired of being the new version of myself. It was really challenging to keep up with something I wasn’t. In the end, I let my true self shine through. Although I met conflict with people who didn’t agree with my views and ways, I gained friends who cared about what I thought and shared my opinions.

I made a vow to always be myself. I know I will be faced with opposition, but I’m sure that if I stay true to who I really am and refuse to let others change me then I will find true friends that really are friends with me for who I am.