an essay

audrey - mcconnelsville, Ohio

An Essay

What do I believe? I’ve started this essay a few times. Each time I’ve used some half-hearted topic that doesn’t really matter to me. They were just some true statements. This time…I’m letting my thoughts and feelings come.

I believe in vampires, zombies, love at first sight, the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, perpetual innocence, God, safety in numbers, global warming, and governmental conspiracies. Why? Why not? To this day…I’m still not sure what this essay is supposed to be. A story? A speech? Certainly not a work of art. No one cares what someone else believes. They just want to be entertained. How can you put something that you really truly believe on paper? My beliefs are feelings, not statements. Is that okay? I hope so.

I believe this essay can never truthfully be written. You need something else. Point, counterpoint. You need to know someone else’s thoughts to completely know your own. How does someone disagree? How do they make your idea better?

What am I really trying to say? I’m not totally sure. Am I telling you to listen, to care? I don’t think so. Although, maybe that’s what you need to hear from this. Your true beliefs can’t be put on paper. I don’t want my feelings to be just another quote somewhere. This I believe, live your beliefs, don’t write them.