Trail & Tribulation

dasia - solon, Ohio

“Honey. Honey. Wake-up,” Grandpa whisper. Grandpa shook Honey as if she was in a deep sleep. As grandpa shook her, I heard heavy breathing “uh, uhh, uhhh,” and IV fluid dripping “drip, drip.”

“Honey it’s time for you to wake-up,” Grandpa said with fright.

When I touched her it felt like the room was spinning, and a cold breeze coming from my toes to head. The breeze was making every hair on my body stand. Grandpa looked at me: a look that said leave. I left the room and stood next to door, so if he spoke I could hear every word he was saying.

After five minutes we left the hospital. As the day passed Grandpa had a sour look on his face as if he had a dozen lemons for breakfast he didn’t saying nothing to me. Knowing Grandpa he told me everything that was on his mind. For him not to tell me what happened, or to tell me how he feels made me worried.

That night Mom came to pick me up from Grandpa House. When I was leaving, he just gave me a kiss on my forehead and that’s it.

The next morning Grandpa call everyone on one line and said we are about to have a family phone meeting. Mom put the phone on speaker. Everybody in the family was on the phone.

Grandpa said “yesterday visiting Honey in the hospital was a sad break. Knowing that Honey has made us happy in her own way. We will always love her where every she goes.” By this time the family knew she passed. As Grandpa talk, you heard hard crying. Even I was crying. Mom hung up the phone. The thing I can remember the most was that Grandpa said “Honey has passed away”. It replayed over and over in my head.

On the day of the funeral seeing family members from around the world made me realize. No matter what we go through, we all stick together, and that the problems that we have can never wipe the smiles off are faces. As this day when I think about Honey I cry and I don’t want to believe. That my best friend, my Grandma, the only person that knew me and understood me the best, was gone.

But even though I can’t see her, touch her, and smell her perfume everyday, I know that she is looking out for her Daisy. I believe going through trail and tribulation makes you stronger.