This I Believe! Fitting in

Brooke - USA

Life is full of surprises, a lot of them. It’s a rollercoaster that goes literally up, down, backwards, and any other way at any point in time. When I was thirteen years old I moved from Miami, Florida to Overland Park, Kansas. It was a hard adjustment at first but eventually I made friends that would stick behind me through anything. Middle school turned out to be just fine, and I fitted in. Fitting in was probably the only thing I cared about. So as you can imagine when I was graduating eighth grade and going into high school I wasn’t to thrilled to be starting over again.

I went into high school with all my grade school friends, and we had nothing to loose. As high school went on I started to meet so many other friends, and branched out. I was so happy, everything was going just right. During sophomore year it seemed like everyone got so mature, or grew up over the summer. For some reason I felt the need to grow up to or act like it. I felt like an outcast, because on the inside I am as immature as my old thirteen year old self. During all of this I kept a smile plastered on my face just so everyone would think differently.

Through out the rest of high school I kept my insecurities to myself. I had my ups and my downs but things finally started looking a little brighter. My senior year finally rolled around and everything just felt right again. I went into my senior year with an open mind, and not a care in the world. Now I know we have to embrace our awkward or insecure stages. If you don’t you miss a huge part your life where you find yourself. Just because everyone else is following the pack, doesn’t mean you have to.