A death in the family never gets easier

Katie - Shawnee, Kansas
Themes: death, family, love

I believe that a death in the family never gets any easier. Every holiday, birthday, anniversary or a good old fashion visit will never be the same. His name was Eddie Kriweil and he was my “Papa”. (My mom’s dad) He died last year December 3, almost too close to Christmas. Papa was the kindest, most gentle person I have ever met. He had great passions for things like his family, wife, football and golf that it made me appreciate more of those things in my life. He coached football for many years and raised nine kids, but yet he never felt the need to raise his voice at them. You just knew when he was upset. He inspired people to do what the love in life. Money and popularity meant absolutely nothing.

My sophomore year he had to have an oxygen tank because he wasn’t getting enough. I felt so bad for him because he was so embarrassed to lug that thing around all the time. That same year, Aquinas soccer got to the state finals. I was so thankful it was in Andover because my Papa got to go and watch me play. We dominated that team. Looking up and seeing his face there just made me work harder. The ending result was 4-1. After the game I took millions of pictures with him and the rest of my huge family to remind me of one of the greatest games of my life.

To this day, I love going to Wichita to see my grandparents. However, it just isn’t the same when I go anymore. I want to see his face and give him a giant hug and talk about soccer or school. But I can’t. Even though I can’t see or touch him I know he is still looking after me. They say “time heels everything” but the pain is still there. I know now he is in a better place but it still doesn’t get any easier.