Why Did This Happen?

Victoria - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything in life happens for a reason. I believe that everything happens for a specific reason: that there are no accidents or coincidences. I believe that there is a purpose for everything one does. Throughout my life I have realized there are many instances where actions I have done, or others have done around me have done, have resulted in a specific reason. Whether the reason was to teach me a lesson, help me, hurt me, protect me, or something else, it all resulted from prior actions and occurrences. The most vivid memory I have of this was the day my belief was formed.

The day my belief was formed was a couple of years ago around springtime. It was Wednesday and I should have left for my weekly art lessons a couple of minutes ago. We had not left yet because my sister had lost her shoes somewhere in the house. Finally, after a couple more minuets of searching, we found her shoes. Quickly we jumped into our car and started driving to my art lessons. About three fourths of the way to my art studio, a car made an illegal U-turn. It crashed into a car that was about ten cars ahead of us. At this moment I realized that had my sister not lost her shoes and we had been on time; the people in the car crash might have been us and not the people in front of us. I could have been seriously injured. I might have never formed this belief had this incident not have happened.

Ever since this occurrence I started to believe that everything happens for a reason. There is a purpose for everything no matter how insignificant it might be. The reason might not be clear at first or hard to understand but I believe there is a reason for everything and that it will become clear eventually. There is a purpose for being late, for the feeling one has, for being early, for loosing, for winning for living, for being sick, for loosing something, for writing this essay, for everything.