My Hero

Adora - Anoka, Minnesota

I believe that life isn’t always fair…for girls. In the Hmong culture, girls are expected to move out of their parent’s home and marry at age thirteen. Most marriages are forced but some girls are lucky enough to choose their groom. Another belief in the Hmong culture is that boys are more capable of supporting their parents than girls. Boys also have the right to choose whether or not they’ll live with their parents. I haven’t exactly experienced what other Hmong girls in Laos and Thailand have, but my mom feels that she has.

In my mom’s family, she and her older sister are the only girls. They have four brothers so whenever my grandma had spare time, she dedicated it to her sons, only. Also, when there were arguments, she would always side with her boys-even if she knew that they were wrong. Even so, my mom made a good relationship with two of her brothers. She never thought about how unfair her mom was being, only that she needed to keep her family tight, no matter what.

I’m proud of my mom for holding her head high through all the hard times. Because her childhood was so unfair, she’s treating me better than her mom treated her.