Catholic Grade Schools help shape kids identities

Mitchell - Chesterfield, Missouri

I believe that going to catholic grade schools are important in shaping your identity. Many people believe that it is a waste of money and believe you can get the same education at a public school. Though this is true about the education, kids that do not go to a catholic school miss out on the spiritual aspect that is taught at these schools. I have gone to a catholic school for 12 years, and even though my religious beliefs aren’t strong, I have realized that the religion classes from my grade school really did shape me into the person I am today. In religion classes they stress to follow the Ten Commandments and they teach you to do the right thing. Teachers will give you examples from the bible, or fables of a modern situations involving doing the right thing. The knowledge spiritual, or mentally (whichever way you want to look at it) you can acquire from these classes can really benefit you when you get to high school. Teachers talk about situations where you may get involved in a situation you are uncomfortable with and they can tell you ways to deal with those. When you are a kid this sinks into your brain and you carry this information with you for a big part of your life. When people usually think about religion classes the assume that all you will be doing is learning about scriptures and praying, when actually you are learning things that could really help you with growing up and becoming the person YOU want to be in life.

Personally, religion class has done all these things. I have been involved in situations where things have gotten out of hand and I knew how to handle the situations or to turn away anything I did not like. Also I found that the stuff I learned in class really helped me know what kind of people I wanted to hang around with. People who did not judge and felt pretty similar the way I felt. This is what I strongly believe!