Family

RJ - St.Louis, Missouri

At a young age growing up was never easy being a foster child. The constant stare and comments were never rare in public. At age 4 I was adopted. A few years later when I started school , everyone questioned why I was black and my parents were white. Being embarassed, I made up a million stories about a rare skin disease I possess. As I grew older I started to question who I was and why God would take me away from my birth parents. Without the answers I felt alone and often resulted in anger toward others. Entering high school I started to recognize the love and affection my adoptive family have shown towards me. How they are always there and the Sacrafices they made for me. I then started to find peace of mine and I came to a realization.

I believe that family is not only considered people who share the same DNA, genes, and blood but family is the people who take you in, who are there for you through thick or thin. I believe that family is the backbone of my faith. Without family I am not who I am today. Regardless of gender, race, or creed family are the people who you have in your heart. I am grateful to this day for my parents who found it in their hearts to take me in and welcome me into their family.