My Chosen Path

Ryan - Providence, Rhode Island

My Chosen Path

Everyone has a certain path that they must take in their lifetime, some choose their path, and some have their path chosen for them. The path that I try to live by is called Bushido, the Way of the Warrior. I believe in the values that can now be considered “lost” in today’s society: Honor, Respect, Dignity, Integrity, Responsibility, Bravery, Chivalry, Commitment, Perseverance, Wisdom, Selflessness, Valor, all of these qualities have been lost, yet I believe in them.

There are eight principles of Bushido: Jin – To cultivate a sympathetic understanding of people, Gi – To embody and preserve meticulous ethics, Chu – To evince loyalty to one’s master, Ko – To esteem and look after one’s parents, Rei – To show respect for others, Chi – To enhance wisdom by broadening one’s knowledge, Shin – To be truthful at all times, and Tei – To care for the aged and those of humble station. These are the principles to follow; Yet it all started with a dream as a boy.

I was nine, and I was playing with my best friend Alec, I was playing a new video game, and I decided I would go to Nintendo, and make Video Games. I soon learned the name of the man who seemed the most innovative man of all time, Shigeru Miyamoto, the major influence that sprang Nintendo into success. I learned more about him: He had ideas that constantly made more success for himself, and for Nintendo. He was a traditional man, making success in today’s nontraditional society, if I must say someone influenced me to look further into Japanese culture, it was Shigeru Miyamoto. He made me more aware of the Japanese culture.

After, I was left on my own to find my way. I had nothing, yet I still had myself. I turned to books, books that professed they were the singular source for this knowledge. I took to the cartoons called Anime, and a few years later, I started reading some of the comics, Manga. I watched the anime’s in Japanese, I began to absorb some language; I bought books that could help me to learn Japanese. I never had the time, but I had one book that I do carry with me, usually everywhere I go; because I do not yet fully know and understand every single point of Bushido. It is my “handbook”, for my path, and sometimes I do refer to it.

I have found my path, but I am only human, and therefore, I error. I fall down face first in the dirt, into the darkness within my heart. But I know that “The heart may be weak. And sometimes it may even give in. But I’ve learned that deep down, there’s a light that never goes out!” and I’ve now found my light, and I never want to let go of it. I have found my true path, I have found my true light, This, I believe.